Looking for something to do this weekend? Here are a few suggestions to help get you started:
Celebrate Green Friday
The forecast is still calling for mild temperatures compared to the norm for this time of year. It's a bit of a drive to Lake Dardanelle State Park, 100 State Park Drive in Russellville, or to Hobbs State Park, 20201 E. Arkansas 12 in Hindsville, but it's a holiday weekend and both parks have a number of free programs planned this weekend to help visitors enjoy the great outdoors. Tired of fighting the crowds at the shopping malls in observance of Black Friday? Why not check out some of these park activities to chill things out a little? Celebrate Green Friday, be thankful for the Natural State's clean water and air, and make some memories with family and friends.
Green Friday activities at Hobbs State Park extend from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., and include:
• Ozark Plateau Trail and visitor center Scavenger Hunts all day.
• Form Follows Function bird features from 8:30 a.m. to noon.
• Get Buggy While Learning about Insects from 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Tree-mendous Hike from 10-11 a.m.
• Making crafts from recyclables from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Make recycled instruments from 1:30-2:30 p.m.
• The duo Still on the Hill sings songs dedicated to life along the Buffalo River at 3 p.m.
Call (479) 789-5000 for information about these and more activities at Hobbs State Park.
Lake Dardanelle State Park also has several Green Friday activities all weekend, including:
• A Photo Scavenger Hunt at 11 a.m. Friday.
• A Tree Maze at 3 p.m. Friday.
• Stories of Lake Dardanelle at 5 p.m. Friday.
• Reptiles of the River at 11 a.m. Saturday.
• Fireside Stories at 5:30 p.m. Saturday.
• Great Migration Challenge at 10 a.m. Sunday.
• Native American Games at 1 p.m. Sunday.
Call (479) 967-5516 for information on these free activities.
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
• The Christmas lighting displays at Creekmore Park and in Downtown Fort Smith will be turned on at 4 p.m. nightly beginning Friday.
• Lights in the Park begins at 5:30 p.m. Friday at the Alma Community Outreach Center. This is the center's largest fundraiser each year. Cookies and hot chocolate will be served. Carolers will sing Christmas songs. Call (479) 632-4127.
• The 16th annual Wister Lake Lights On the Island runs from 6-9 p.m. nightly at Wister Lake State Park. Contact the Poteau Chamber of Commerce at email@example.com for information.